I am kind of a nut about this since 7.x came out.

Fields: Custom numbering in a predictable range.  Generally when
customizing an existing form I start with something like 600100200 for
the field ID's.  Using this method you can easily run a simple SQL
search on the form and field table to determine what your custom fields
were:

For field names I use BMC's naming convention which is pretty well
documented.  I do not remember if they only give this out to partners or
not.  If you can't find it let me know.

For workflow and forms I use a special multi-tenancy way of naming.
It's pretty straight forward.  If I am customizing original workflow I
disable the original and never modify it.  Then I rename it with the
Business Name:Operating Company Name or abbreviation: then original
name.  So an Active Link named HPD:DoSomeStuff for XYZ Corp's HR
customer/tenant might get named XYZ:HR:HPD:DoSomeStuff.  Cumbersome?
Maybe. Useful? VERY - especially when you can narrow your view by prefix
to find workflow specific to certain tenants.

I do this now even if the system is not planned to be multi-tenancy
because you never know....

When making new workflow it's similar - I take the form prefix (if one
exists) or invent one if necessary for new forms.  The result is the
same as the above.

When I create brand new forms from scratch I do not worry about
numbering the fields.  An entirely custom form should never need have
it's fields differentiated from base product fields.

The only area I really run into a hitch philosophically is modifying
base product active link guides or filter guides.  You can either

1.) Choose to disable, copy, rename, and modify the calling Active
Link/filter, copy the entire guide, disable all the base product
workflow, copy it, rename it, re-enable it, and customize the active
link/filter in question, or
2.) Disable the active link/filter in question, leave it in the base
product guide, add the new customized active link/filter, and document
the heck out of it.

I pragmatically chose #2 and stuck with it based on what mood I was in
that day.

William Rentfrow

Principal Consultant, StrataCom Inc.

wrentf...@stratacominc.com <blocked::mailto:wrentf...@stratacominc.com>