LJ,
You could do something similar to the way the current Data Load Tool handles
validation and promotion:
- write a command value to a field to flag the process start
- have an escalation do the work (or you can figure out how to send a CAI
message to kick it off :-)
- pop-up a small window showing the status, with an auto-refresh to keep it
updated.

I don't see any way of keeping it synchronous with the client action and not
risk the timeout you describe.

Regards,
Chuck Baldi