Not BMC's fault, ITSM is based on ITSP which was produced by a VAR (name
withheld to protect the guilty).

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of ccrashh
Sent: 20 March 2009 12:53
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: ITSM naming convention sucks

BMC has to be kidding with their ITSM suite's naming convention...for
instance:

On the HPD:HelpDesk form, the Customer Search button (inexplicably
called Contact Search even though it is under the Customer Information
section) has several Active Links associated to it (31 or so).  If you
were to go to the list of active links and sort by name, the first one
that appears is:

     HPD:INC:ContactSearch_120_GPn-G

However, the first one that triggers is:

     HPD:INC:ContactSearch_Info_035_GetPersonInfo

Which is 19th in the list of 31 Active Links.  WTF.  Why would anyone
do things this way?  How can any real Remedy ARS developer work with
this crap without wanting to put his/her fist through the monitor?

Here's a tip...fix the naming convention!

For example:

     HPD-INC-CUS:SR-b035-GetPersonInfo
     HPD-INC-CUS:SR-b120-GPn-G  --- of course, this should be renamed
to something more explicit like:
     HPD-INC-CUS:SR-b120-CallGuide_CF

(CF being an acronym for the ContactFound guide...which I would rename
to HD-INC-CF:ContactFound)

See, now this naming convention makes sense.  Broken down it is the
     HPD module
     INC form (though, I would change this to HD probably to match the
form's actual acronym)
     CUS (for Customer - so we know this has something to do with the
Customer information on the form)
     SR - for Search (so if this were the Create button, I would use
CR, and MD for Modify)
     b - for button (other abbreviations would be s = submit,
m=modify, mc = menu choice, etc.)
     035 or 120 - execution order
    GetPersonInfo - or other - description of the functionality (can
be followed by things like -E for Error, or -G
          for a Goto, etc.)

So, if I were to modify all the ALs accordingly, sorting by name gives
us the Active Links in order of their functionality and execution
order within that functionality.

What BMC has provided is total crap...'natch.

And my contract may require me to work on this...double sigh.

___
UNSUBSCRIBE or access ARSlist Archives at www.arslist.org