From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of maggie2007
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 7:19 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: serialize webservice response error:The string '' is not a valid
AllXsd value.

Lyle, did you have the same problem as I described?

For integer field, datetime field, it is ok as long as you set
nillable=true, minOccurs=0 on the output mapping.

But for drop-down list field (which is enumeration type in WSDL), the value
cannot be empty. I found out that the workaround is to add an empty
enumeration value. This way even customer select "(clear)" for that
drop-down list field, serialization will be ok on my .Net client.

The .NET framework for working with web services creates a class that
represents the web service for use in your application.  Selection fields
(or dates or other numerical fields) get represented by numbers, DateTimes,
or enums which can't be null in .NET, because they are value types and not
reference types.  As a result, any time you try to retrieve a record that
has NULL in one of those fields, you will get an error.  The work around we
found was to manually edit the WSDL after you create the web service and
change the type of all of those fields to a string.  String is a reference
type and can be null, so you will no longer get the error.  If you need to
work with the values in the correct data type in your .NET code, you can
convert the string to the desired data type after retrieving it from the web
service and then work with it that way.

Lyle

copies of the original message.