I'm no expert on mime encoding, but I suppose your email client might be
doing a multipart/mixed (inline)

Open the .eml with a text editor and see what it contains - it will be the
message, or the message and the attachment encoded.  Try switching to a
plain-text configuration (vs rich) and see if it makes a difference.  Send
an email from Outlook Express and... :-)

This is a message with multiple parts in MIME format.
--frontier

This is the body of the message.
--frontier

PGh0bWw+CiAgPGhlYWQ+CiAgPC9oZWFkPgogIDxib2R5PgogICAgPHA+VGhpcyBpcyB0aGUg
Ym9keSBvZiB0aGUgbWVzc2FnZS48L3A+CiAgPC9ib2R5Pgo8L2h0bWw+Cg==
--frontier--