That's the approach I would be taking but escalations internal to ITSM7
seem to cause contention.  I've come up with a few threads already for
stuff I don't want blocked and logically grouped similar to Rick's
suggestion:

Our custom data feeds
SYS:Action
NTE
Approval functions
SLM
Housekeeping (Alert cleanup, basically anything with a timed
application-delete-entry etc)

We don't use change or yet, so they're not included...

And we are so behind on patches now and so customized that escalation pool
will be a drop in the bucket for things to reapply.  ;-)

  Tony Worthington
  Sr. Technical Analyst
  Kohl's Department Stores
  N56 W17000 Ridgewood Drive