Make the character menu's display type as drop list and you will never have to
deal with that error..

Joe

________________________________
From: MCCAVITT Nyall <nyall.mccav...@eurocontrol.int>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:38:25 AM
Subject: Need to make an error message more friendly.

**
Hi,
Environment: ARS V7.1 (Solaris) running with a remote Oracle 10g database.
One of my users has complained that the standard error message from Remedy for
a certain condition is not very user-friendly and I cannot see an easy way of
making the message more friendly. Any suggestions would be welcome.
The simplified situation is this:
One one form, called A1, for this example, I have a field called 'Menu' which
has a menu attached to it. The values in this menu are 2008A, 2008B, 2008C and
2008D. There is a button on this field which when clicked on copies the data
from form A1 to form A2 by means of an Active Link. This second form also has a
field called 'Menu' with an attached menu, but in the case the menu values are
2008B, 2008C, 2008D i.e. the value 2008A is missing from the menu on the form
A2.
When an entry is being created on form A1 with a value of 2008A in the 'Menu'
field and then the button is clicked on the user receives the following error
message:
        ARERR [306] Value does not fall within the limits specified for the
field :  (Pattern - $MENU$) : 536870913
The error message itself is clear enough as to why the error has occurred but
the problem is that is uses the Database ID to identify the field where the
problem is. This is OK for an Administrator but the user would like to have the
name of the field i.e. the database label value. Personally I would like to
have the database label value, the form name and the data value that has caused
this error.
Thanks in advance.
Nyall
Nyall McCavitt CND/COE/VI/SQ (BE.25) Tel: +33 (0)1 69 88 73 02

____

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and
intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any
unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on
the part of EUROCONTROL, unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard
copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.