The OS is Windows 2003 (64 bit), remote Oracle 10g server (UNIX). Oracle client
on application server is 32 bit.

I am able to connect to the database using the Oracle client from the
application server. During the installation, the installer recognizes the
existence of a previously installed database (first attempt). I asked for an
update install and it seems to install correctly and gives the message that it
installed successfully, but the services are not started. When I go to start it
manually, I receive the following error:

"Windows could not start the BMC Remedy Action Request System toto on local
computer. For more information, review the system event log. If this is a
non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
service-specific error code 1064." The log files are as follows:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AR System Monitor ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
for details. The following information is part of the event: 390600 : Cannot
initialize contact with SQL database (ARERR 551) : Stop server, ."

and

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AR System Monitor ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
for details. The following information is part of the event: ORA-12154:
TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified, ."

and

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AR System Monitor ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
for details. The following information is part of the event: 390600 : Failure
while trying to connect to the SQL database.
Please ensure the SQL database is running or contact the Database Administrator
for help (ARERR 550), ."

Has anyone seen this issue before? I have sent this all to BMC, but they have
not found an answer yet (after more than a week)

JANNIE BANKS