Thanks everyone this has been very helpful.  I will let you know if, let me
say, WHEN :) I will need more assistance!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:30 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Web Services question

Joelie,

Since you said you were new to WebServices....

WebServices 101:
  Basically what is going on is a client (consumer) is sending an XML
file to a server (publisher) via HTTP(s).

So in short... the client always sends an XML file to the server and
the server always returns an XML file to the client. (Well, at least
when things work according to the standard definition of what a web
service is. :) There is always room for bugs. And sometimes even room
for bugs in Jello. :) )

However, there are other implementation details for you and the other
company to understand too.

For example:

A) Will your company be the only one "sending data" (triggered by
something happening internal to your company) to the other company? If
so then they need to publish a WebService and you need to "call it"
(consume it) when needed.

* You need to ask them for a WSDL (Web Service Definition Language)
file for the WebService.
   Interestingly you can make a WebService without creating a WSDL
file. So the "Definition" is optional. :)  Really it is a formatted
file that allows other programs to "understand" the WebService and
really has nothing (directly) to do with the function of the
WebService. However in recent years developers can create the WSDL
first, then have a program build the WebService from the WSDL too. So
it is kind of "chicken with optional egg" problem.
   Also, BMC does not support the full Web Service standard. So there
are some restrictions on what features the remote Web Service can have
too. (Mostly these are small things, but you might bump into them so I
will just mention it in passing.)
   Your ARS server will need to have network access to the web
server(s) that the other company is publishing their Web Service
through too.

B) Will they ever be sending updates back to you when something
happens on their end of this process? If so then you also need to
publish a WebService for them to be able to call when they need to.
     If you need this case... Remedy makes it very easy for you to
create the ARS WebService Object. (and auto creates the WSDL for you
too)
     You would need to have a Mid-Tier that is accessible from the
remote company.
     The remote company will need a Remedy username/password to
consume your WebService too. ( You may need to arm wrestle with your
ARS license agreement on the legal effects of mapping an external
companies application [and by proxy some unknown to you number of
people] to one account in ARS. )

C) Will there be any times that either end of this conversation will
be unavailable?
    If so then you may need to be a bit more complicated to prevent
your users from being blocked by the other end of the conversation not
being there to have the conversation. (and maybe deal with the ideas
of: fail-retry, retry, ..., retry the N'th time, give up and tell
someone) FWIW: ARS v7.1 has a new feature (Filter Error Handling) that
can help with this too.

Feel free to ask about more details as you come across them. There are
many people on the ARSList who have experience with Remedy
WebServices. I am sure someone can help. :)

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.