John,

>From your message, I am guessing that what you are trying to accomplish is the
>following (note that I have
simplified the situation to 2 forms just to get the concept across and then you
can expand it to 3 or 5 or 50
as you need).

You have 2 different forms.  One for logging groceries and one for handling
automotive maintenance
scheduling.  You have customers that call in and they may ask about either
groceries or about auto
maintenance.  What you want is for your staff to have 0, 1, or 2 windows open
(there may be others but of
the windows related to this topic).  They may have no window for either open.
Or, they may have a grocery
window open but no auto maintenance (or vice versa) or they may have both open.

When, a new call comes in, what you want to happen is for the system to
determine whether it is a grocery
or auto maintenance issue and if it is grocery, if there is no grocery window
open, open one and open the
ticket in that window.  If however there is already a grocery window open, then
open the new ticket within the
existing grocery window and don't open a new window.

(we will ignore the case of whether you are working a grocery ticket in the
grocery window when the new call
comes in so that the new call will overlay the existing window.....)

(we will also ignore the issue of the fact that you are not opening a NEW
window in that window but are
really resetting a window to the new value -- UNLESS what you do is to close
the existing window of that
type and open a new one in the correct mode or what you are doing is having a
submit window of each type
and you just fill it in and hit submit and the new one just prepares for a new
submit and initializes the data
to be ready for the next submit)

Anyway, a technique to accomplish what this is talking about is the following:

1) For each type of window that you want to have one uniquely opened, create a
global variable.

2) Whenever a window of that type is opened, assign $WINDOWID$ (or whatever the
keyword that is the
    window identifier) to this global variable.  This field will be cleared
(set to $NULL$) On Close of this
    window.

    Now, you have a global variable that is available to anyone who wants that
holds the handle of the widow
    so you can refer to that window.

3) Create a form that has EVERY global from EVERY window type on it that you
will use as your landing
    pad from the outside.  It will also have fields that are the ones that are
to be passed from the outside.

    Define a format for serializing the data passed in to every type of window
or define gobals to hold data or
    some way to get data passed between windows.

4) When a new call comes in and you determine the type of either groceries or
auto maintenance, gather the
    data that is appropriate (if any) for that type and then call AR to open
the form you created in #3 passing
    data and the type of the call.

5) The form will have workflow the runs on Loaded (because the data you are
passing in needs to arrive) that
    will then take the type of window, check the appropriate global field.  If
it is NULL, there is no window of
    that type open and you can use an Open Window action to open it and pass
the data.  If it is NOT NULL,
    you have the window ID of the window that is open and you can send a signal
to that window either
    passing the data you want passed or having it put into globals so that the
window can pick it up from
    them (using them as registers).   Each of the types of forms -- groceries
and auto maintenance in this
    case -- would have active links firing on event that would prepare the
screen, parse data from the data
    passed or get from the global registers into the appropriate fields and you
are good to go.

    You have just accomplished either opening a window if not available or
sending data to the existing
    window if it is available.

6) You have workflow at execution order 999 on the form in #3 that does a Close
Window action so that the
    window for #3 never really actually opens.

7) Obviously, you just add more globals and more directions to pass the data if
you later add on pool
    reservations and lunch ordering and 10 other divergent forms.

Hopefully, this gives you a picture of a possibility if you wanted to pursue it
for the type of situation you are
encountering (assuming I interpreted your situation and what you want to
accomplish correctly).  Anyway,
this is an example of how to achieve the type of interaction like this.

I hope this is an interesting discussion of ways to use the features of the
system at least and maybe gives
some ideas.

Doug Mueller