From: Carey Matthew Black <black....@gmail.com>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Tue, November 17, 2009 7:54:29 AM
Subject: Re: Defined Search

Atul,

You did not mention your ARS version.

However, I would look at the preference server. It stores "Searches" for the
user. You should be able to figure out how to submit a record to the "AR System
User Central File" form ('FileType' = "Search") so that the user would see the
saved Searches in their client(s).

You will need to attach a file, in a specific (undocumented?) format. However
that can be done. At first glance it looks like a single file for all forms for
all searches. So you likely will need to write a program that can parser and
insert in to an existing file. However adding to the file looks easy enough to
me. [ Basically: Parse to find the Schema blocks, find the Schema block with
the 'Schema Name' that you want to add to, get the current number of 'Num
Searches' and increment it by one(or N), add the new "Search"(es) block at the
end of the Schema block.]

Oh... I would defiantly go through the "API" (Or use the ARS Server, via Filter
commands, to save the file off to the server, call your script to edit the
file, and re-attache the file with later filter actions.) to make changes to
the attachments. I have never heard of anyone successfully changing an
attachment content directly in the ARS DB. (Maybe it can be done, but ... why
would you want to work that hard?)

A sample (from my 6.3 server)
NOTE: The format may change at any time. (As far as I know this is an "internal
format" and is not defined as an interface for customers to be writing directly
too.)
NOTE2: There are "Ctrl+A" characters in the QBE Data (That is "Query By
Example"(QBE), Later changed to "Search By Example"(SBE) for you new ARS
kiddies in the group. :) ) So be careful with how those are used. They look
important. :)

"
Num Schemas=328
Schema  {
  Schema Name  =User
  Server Name  =ar.server.some.com
  Num Searches =3
  Search  {
      QBE Data=101=bob
      QBE String=Login Name=bob
      String=
  }
  Search  {
      QBE Data=101=bob2
      QBE String=Login Name=bob2
      String=
  }
  Search  {
      QBE Data=
      QBE String=
      String='Login Name' = "bob3"
  }
}
"

I think the Mid-Tier started supporting saved searches (from the
preference server) in v7.1. However, it may have been v7.5.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.