I have to define a role when  importing the application data.  In the case
we have a server, and an  application, are you saying that an application is
the "Parent" role?   In relationship to the server, I considered the
application the "child" and  the server the parent.  Without the Server, the
application would not  operate.

Is there any documentation on  this.  I have not been able to find it.

**

I’m  not sure it can be thought of in such a simple manner.  The problem is
 that what you consider the parent or the child does not necessarily
correspond to the direction of the relationship depending on what type of
relationship you’re talking about.  For example, if Item A depends on  Item B,
your relationship arrow goes from Item A to Item B, but can you say  that one
is the parent or child in this relationship?  In the case of  applications on
servers in the CMDB, BMC uses a HostedSystemComponent  relationship. (I don’
t’necessarily agree with this approach, but that’s the  way it is…)  In
that case, the arrow goes from the server to the  application.  Conceptually,
the application could probably be thought  of as the child, but the arrow
goes the other way (you can also debate which  way the arrows ought to go to
indicate which is the parent or the child,  further muddying the waters).
I  would say to not even try to think of things in terms of parent-child.
Rather, just figure out which way the arrows should go.  In this case,
they go from the server to the application.  What this means in  concrete terms
is that, when you create a HostedSystemComponent for this,  the Source is
the server, and the Destination is the  application.
Does  that make sense at all?
Lyle