  From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org]on Behalf Of Robert Halstead
  Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:33 PM
  To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
  Subject: Server Group Upgrade

  ** All,

  We currently are running AR System 6.3 and are planning on upgrading to 7.5
next month.  We have been through the upgrade process with BMC on our
development system, however, our development box doesn't have a server group
setup.  I've gotten little documentation from BMC regarding upgrading a server
group environment.

  There's also a caveat, in the upgrade procedure we need to perform an upgrade
to 7.1 first, then from 7.1 to 7.5 because the 7.5 installer does not upgrade
our 6.3 system correctly.  We have ran through the upgrade of 6.3 to 7.5
several times and by stepping the upgrade to 7.1 first, it has been successful
every time.

  The docs for 7.5 are a little confusing to me when it comes to the server
group upgrade portion and I have put together some steps that I wonder if the
List could look at and confirm that they look good.  I've ran the list past
BMC, however, I'm not confident in their approval because of their lack of
documentation (just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy I'm looking for).

  The procedure that I have come up with is as follows:

  1: Stop AR System on our 1st and 2nd application servers.
  2: Run the 7.1 Upgrade against 1st application server and select the UPGRADE
option.
  3: Run the 7.1 Upgrade against 2nd application server and select the SHARE
option.
  4: Break the server group by un-checking Server Group on our application
servers.
  5: Upgrade the approval server on our 1st application server to 7.1.
  6: Upgrade the email engine on our 1nd application server to 7.1.
  7: Upgrade the assignment engine on 1st application server to 7.1.
  8: Upgrade the approval server on our 2nd application server to 7.1.
  9: Upgrade the email engine on our 2nd application server to 7.1.
  10: Upgrade the assignment engine on 2nd application server to 7.1.
  11: Relink the server group between our application servers (sanity check).
Ensure Remedy is running correctly or can at least start up.
  12: Stop AR System on both servers.
  13: Run the 7.5 Upgrade against our 1st application server and select the
UPGRADE option.
  14: Run the 7.5 Upgrade against our 2nd application server and select the
Server Group option.
  15: Break the server group by un-checking Server Group on both application
servers.
  16: Upgrade the approval server on our 1st application server to 7.5.
  17: Upgrade the email engine on our 1nd application server to 7.5.
  18: Upgrade the assignment engine on 1st application server to 7.5.
  19: Upgrade the approval server on our 2nd application server to 7.5.
  20: Upgrade the email engine on our 2nd application server to 7.5.
  21: Upgrade the assignment engine on 2nd application server to 7.5.
  22: Relink the server group.
  23: Run Smoke tests on workflow, testing, etc...

  I'm a little confused when it comes to the supporting applications such as
the email engine and approval server as the docs are a little confusing on when
to upgrade them.  If anyone could provide some input on this process it will be
a great help to my coworkers and I.

  Thanks for your time,

  --
  "A fool acts, regardless; knowing well that he is wrong. The ignoramus acts
on only what he knows, but all that he knows.

  Bob Halstead