Frank,

Interesting requirement.. This is how I might have handled it..

I would build a configuration form (custom) called Configure Change Blackout
Dates or something..

Three fields that I would see as mandatory on this form is:
End Date
Reason for Blackout

I would sort the results of this form on the Start Date so if any search is
performed on this form using workflow, the start date for all configured
blackouts would be correctly sorted..

Build temporary display only fields lets say $ztmpBlackOutStart$,
$ztmpBlackOutEnd$ and $ztmpBlackOutReason$ on the Change Request form for
the above three fields, or wherever else that you might be initiating that
change and scheduling it from to query results of the black out form, and if
the Scheduled Start date is found anywhere in between all the configured
blackouts, bring the first result it finds, and dump into those fields..

Have both active link as well as filter workflow check for the contents of
these display fields that you have built, and if not null, display an error
that says something like "Blackout Period : "  $ztmpBlackOutStart$  " to "
$ztmpBlackOutEnd$ ".
Reason for Blackout : " $ztmpBlackOutReason$

That should prevent the scheduled date from being saved if selected anywhere
in any configured blackout periods....

A similar check can also be done for the end date if it intrudes onto a
blackout period..

Cheers

Joe