The way I always tell people to set up for Oracle.

Say this is your TNSNAMES.ORA file where your ARS server is installed and your
ARS server uses MYENTRY1.
    MYENTRY1 =
      (description =
        (address_list =
          (address = (protocol = tcp)(host = MYHOST1)(port = 1521))
        )
        (connect_data =
          (sid = MYSID1)
        )
      )

    MYENTRY2 =
      (description =
        (address_list =
          (address = (protocol = tcp)(host = MYHOST2)(port = 1521))
        )
        (connect_data =
          (service_name = MYSID2)
        )
      )

In the profile of the user that ARS runs under I tell people to set the
following environment variables:
    set TWO_TASK=MYENTRY1
    set ORACLE_SID=MYSID1
    set TNS_ADMIN={location of tnsnames.ora file}
    export TWO_TASK
    export ORACLE_SID
    export TNS_ADMIN

With these variables set you should be able to connect with sqlplus like:
sqlplus scott/tiger

Fred