Just went to Service-now admin training as a partner - it is very
impressive - highly customizable - and very "clicky" to administer -
however with that said - so is Remedy in the Developer Studio / Admin
Tools. And being a single-web-based-tool - no need for separate tools
to develop / use.

Yes we are beginning to see major ground-shift in many customers
changing from BMC to Service-Now due to the facts that:
* TCO - and Licensing Model - plus SAAS cuts TCO as well - base
contracts contain DEV-TEST-PROD without "enterprise level" contracts -
all MODULES are available in the "base contract" as well!
* Desire to stay OOB - never occurs in Reality - regardless of the product
* BMC ITSM product is quite huge in the aspects and 'feature richness'
but adds to the deployment complexity / end-user training /
maintenance costs long term.
* KISS - is Service-Now - and it's ITIL Certified in 11 modules (3 remaining)

Now with that said my **PERSONAL** feelings are that:
* Service Now applications are a bit "light" compared to BMC ITSM -
however how many customers use __ALL__ of the fields / functionality
in BMC ITSM?
* Both "Core Systems" (Forget ITSM at this point) - are easy to
develop on, build workflows on, control UI Events, Groups, Roles, etc.
* However Service-Now wins on the fact that
1). Single tool (web interface) to build / customize / use
2). No differences in client types (Thick / Thin)
3). Client Rich Features - such as "right click to report", quick
exports to xyz format, print ticket to Word/PDF/xxx (without needing a
report!)
4). Visualization of objects (CMDB) and Approval Process Builder /
Approval Process Life Cycle are quite impressive and respond much
faster than BMC ITSM
5). ...

So while I might slowly become a Service-Now convert - I do realize that:
* 11+ Years experience in Remedy ARS and Applications (since version
3) is highly still valuable
* Service-Now is becoming a High-Demand Trend which means it is
foolish to NOT expand my skill-sets
* having Service-Now AND Remedy ARS AND BMC ITSM experience in "real
world" experiences is a valuable commodity
* Customers will continue to require customizations / enhancements to
EITHER product - and last time I checked I still need to pay the bills
:)

If in doubt - go check their website - they have weekly live-demos,
and actually a 'demo system' that is available for you to play-in,
including as "admin" so you can develop. (they do refresh the system
every night back to OOB)

And you can check out their own words on the topic as well:
http://www.service-now.com/relief-package-remedy/remedy-facts/

HTH - and feel free to ask questions offline/online about this...
Robert Molenda

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Matt Worsdell <m...@worsy.co.uk> wrote:
> The tool itself yes, I was referring to customisations.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> On 22 Mar 2010, at 18:35, Bing <b...@itm3.com> wrote:
>
>> Service-Now is primarily written in Java -- not JavaScript.
>>
>> -- Bing

If it were not for the gutter, my mind would be homeless!