As well you should test RE on development.  Dan's got the right idea Remedy
development / testing / prod environments.  Sometimes things get out of hand
though (say upwards of 8 environments!)  Hardware is important as well -
load balancers, server groups, etc.

Whenever you change RE jobs you *should* test them in dev.  If they are in
error you can damage the production data and through not impossible it would
be hard to get that data back.

Now, to do test in development, "just" replicate some of your CI's
relationships etc from the BMC.ASSET to whatever dataset you like - i.e.
TOPO.  You don't need the discovery tool there although, sure, it's a better
test..  I use a Meta-Update script to replicate CIs & relationships from one
dataset into another sometimes effecting attribute changes and sometimes
manually changing some attributes.

You can do this in a number of ways such as export / import, Meta-Update, or
even manually.  This will probably the biggest pain in your dev setup.  You
must also ensure that the recon jobs will match and not match CIs.  That is:
have a test plan to exercise the recon jobs for both positive and negative
results so that you can verify that your jobs are working as desired.  Use
all the classes you will be using in production - especially if you have
non-ootb classes.  Use a lot of differing attributes according to the design
of your jobs.

"DatasetID" is an attribute in BaseElement and BaseRelationship.

Make sure conditions in you test scenarios reflect conditions in production.
For example if your discovery product does NOT set the Reconciliation
identity (which it sounds like from you RE job description) ensure the CIs
in the import dataset (TOPO) also has no Recon IDs set; similarly in the
production DS (that on dev BMC.ASSET) as you would see the CIs in
production.  Note relationships must have a set recon id.  So,if your
discovery tool also stores relationships you may have * misidentified * CIs
already.

You don't say what release you're on.  There are a few small changes from
7.1 to 7.6 in this area.

Note also, that you will may to create the TOPO datasetid in
BMC.CORE.CONFIG:Datasets  (or something like that as my ITSM is not up right
now).  You can use the RE console to do so but this causes problems with
moving RE jobs as the Dataset's datasetid (guid) will be different between
the two systems and some records in RE jobs use this guid.  So, these will
either have to be modified or a filter can be added to the RE form in Q to
look up the appropriate value  (The RE jobs use this guid entirely
redundantly but use it they do so it must be correct).

As for the Sandbox that's a whole other story.  I have open bugs on that
which BMC will "address in a major release in the future" which is not 7.6 /
7.5.  See discussions about 8 or so months last year on this list.  search
"Recon" "Sandbox" etc.

Good luck.  I found so may serious flaws with RE that I ended up not using
it at all for my requirements which admittedly were not that simple.  You
should not run into these flaws with the straightforward thing you are
trying to do.

Cheers
Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile:      +49 171 380 2329    GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:        <mailto:ben.cher...@softwaretoolhouse.com>
ben.cher...@softwaretoolhouse.com
Web:          <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> www.softwaretoolhouse.com

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate
your imports, migrations, in no time at all, without programming,
without staging forms, without merge workflow.
 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/>  <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/>
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/

  _____