Thanks Alan!  I was able to get things resolved.  I don't know why, but the
Hummingbird UI is toast on my server, so I was forced to utilize the command
line app.

It turned out that the issue was a "News Flash" item that was in there from
a couple of years back.  It seemed to be corrupted in some way (I couldn't
tell how/why).  I removed every item from the published folder.  I then
triggered the index check for that folder.  I then placed the published docs
back in small batches.  Each time running the index.  I did this till it
failed.  I then went through the failed bunch until I found the offending
document and DELTED it!  Once I did that, the rest went in as nice as could
be.  Now everything is indexing just fine.  I suspect that the corrupted doc
may have been playing havoc with some other items...

Now if I could just figure out why the UI is hosed!

Take care!

Warren