You are right, no way that the midTier stores prefetch  items on the client
computer.
Unless you acknowledged security bypass for your browser
Prefetch runs as an assumed user login. So if you setup Prefetch as Joe
User, all the views, code, and fields that Joe User sees will load as
prefetched. If Jane logs in and she has the same permissions as Joe, then
boom she gets the form without extra processing and the form opens fast for
her. OH but here comes FRED; he has more permissions, he is a supervisor,
20% more fields and workflow are available to him, so guess what, when he
logs in, midTier has to fetch all the field defs and workflow for FRED, so
he might see a slightly slower form load the First time only, regardles of
prefetch.
IF you wanted FRED's form to open fast you need to define another prefetch
for a user with FREDS permission set.

---:)---
cpg...@gmail.com