From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Rabi Tripathi
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:02 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Logic in active links vs. filters

**

One common issue I have seen in a lot of custom Remedy code is the use of
Active Links to enforce business rules, data validation etc. Not always a
good idea, because if the client is not Remedy User, these rules will be
bypassed.

Think API programs, Web Services, Remedy Import, runmacro.exe, DSO and also
transactions initiated by Push Field actions (and macros as well??).

Active links exist/run in Remedy User only (and thru browser/mid-tier, of
course), so unless a record is being created or updated because the user
clicked on the Save button on that very record on Remedy User, active links
(that are set to execute on, say,  submit/modify) will never get to execute
on the record.

It still makes sense to write rules/validation using active links, to
provide immediate feedback to the user based on her actions, before the
record is saved. But if the rules need to be enforced all the time, you want
filters as well, as a foolproof gatekeeper. No transaction can bypass them.

--
One thing I learned the hard way (on my RAC exam), was that filters can
throw a message, but not an actionable prompt, such as a Yes/No question. I

Now I understand that filters can't in any way cause anything to happen at
Remedy User, other than pop a message box after the transaction has
completed (or errored out).
All the messages from that transaction are lumped together in that one pop
up, and the only choice is to click on the "Ok" button. It's not going to
affect the transaction in any way, because it already processed.

--
One peculiar thing active links can do that filters can't is that if you
want to take the current (transaction) value of a diary field and change it

For example, you can do this in Active links
Work Log = "Some string" + Work Log

But if you do the same thing in a filter, the result is
Work Log = Work Log + "Some string"

Not a big deal most of the time.