Hello,

The HttpServletRequest method getRemoteUser() will only return one if a
user has been authenticated by the JEE engine, and the user hasn't, so it
won't.  It'll work if you've got SSO installed.

I would assume there's no standard way to get it through JS either as that
would provide a security hole (i.e. a website could run JS to collect the
username, and other sensitive data, and post it to a remote site).  You
could download some Java applet to get the username, but that's horrid
too.

I don't understand why someone suggested that example given it's not going
to consistently.

Perhaps the answer is some ASP page that allows access to the client's
username, but I can't imagine that working correctly unless you'd switched
on Integrated Windows Authentication.

I'd like to suggest a form in the AR System, but this presents exactly
what you're trying to avoid - logging into the Midtier.

John Baker
--
Java System Solutions
http://www.javasystemsolutions.com