I think the lack of responses to this says volumes.  We’ve been struggling with
this topic and it seems that there is no real standard in defining services
either from an ITIL perspective or from a BMC perspective.  Of course, this is
just like all other things ITIL, in particular the CMDB.

In my planning, I’ve been thinking about it from the standpoint of what it
would be used for.  For example,  if a user called in to the service desk, what
would they say they are having an issue with?  If it were with email, they
would just say, “I can’t get email.”  The issue could be with Exchange, the
network, their PC, Outlook, or the other party they could be attempting to
exchange email with.  So from an Incident perspective, I’d want all of those
things lumped into the “Email” service.  However, if I were looking at it from
the perspective of the group responsible for maintaining Exchange, I would
simply want to include Exchange and the servers it sits on and ignore the rest.
 In reality, you may have a happy medium between the two, but I don’t think
that there are specific guidelines for defining it.  You could view it from a
business analyst or programmer perspective:  What reports do you want to get
out of this thing?  What functions will depend on this data?  Answer these then
work your way backwards.

A major pitfall that may trip your organization up that I am trying to ensure
doesn’t happen here is defining what appears in something like SRM or Kinetic
Request as opposed to defining an ITIL service catalog.  I’ve found that many
people don’t know how to differentiate between the two, especially since there
is a large overlap.  I explain it as SRM just being a different module like
Incident, Change, etc. with some services exposed there, others, such as
Internet connectivity, will not show up there because it’s infrastructure.
Many people focus on the “catalog” part of service catalog and think of things
you order like from the Sears catalog.

Shawn Pierson