If you want to stay away from touching the OOB work-flow and minimize the
maintenance effort especially during patch/version upgrade, you can do the
following.

1. Pass a "z1D Action" tag value to the People record along with other
values. Example: "XXX:PPL:Update". I use company abbreviation in place of
XXX.

2. Using the above tag as "Run If" qualification, create a filter to bypass
the workflow that is causing the issue (GOTO action).

Thanks
Mahesh