From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Joe D'Souza
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:37 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: An efficient way to sync up data

**
Mary,

If you are on Oracle, you can write a script that exports the database
structures first, then followed by the data, ignoring data in the application
forms (such as incident, change etc) and take across all other data such as the
meta data (which is important), foundation and configuration data, and any
other custom application you may have that might have configuration data.

You could write a script to auto generate par files, that will selectively
export data and selectively import data. This will save you a lot of time, in
case you have a lot of application data in your system. On one occasion doing
something like this cut the full time to export and import a production
database to a test database from something like 10 to 12 hours to under 2
hours..

This script can be written in DOS that could use the SQLPlus client to exp and
imp the structures and then the data, based on the parameters in your par
files.. You can also auto generate these par files in your script..

Joe