From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:32 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: mid-tier doesn't see crystal XI

**
This is entirely the fault of the mid-tier installer; I had so many problem of
exactly this sort with the various patch levels of 7.1 that I ended up putting
a 7.0.01.002 mid-tier on my CRXI/BOXI server.  I'm still using it in
production!!  For my dev server I used 7.0.01.008.  I have been pointing my
7.5.00.005 pre-production mid-tiers at that last one for testing... it works
just fine since all the 7.0.01 mid-tier is doing is serving up the crystal
report.

I have not tried to update the CRXI mid-tiers to 7.5, and gave up on later
patches of 7.1 as the installers remained bug-ridden - trying to upgrade the
mid-tier from 7.0.01 to 7.1 ignored and wiped out the report viewer.  CRXI is
such a pain to install and license that once you get one running, AND a working
mid-tier, I try to leave it alone.

I'd love to tell you that the BMC installers have improved in 7.5/7.6, but they
have not.  This week's poster child for worthless installers is BMC Analytics
7.6.01, which skips the entire dialog box set for specifying your db connection
- much as the mid-tier installer fails to detect CRXI/BOXI and prompt to
install the Crystal viewer.  All I can recommend is that you try every patch
level of mid-tier that you can find until one works correctly; most of them are
flawed.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/