Theo, It was - Your Business Your Way
:)
Doug Tanner

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Theo Fondse (RIS)
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:36 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: AR User Tool Deprecated?

**
Firstly, I have to echo Jennifer's comments.

Secondly, being a consultant, I work with various companies using Remedy and I
know of companies still using 5.X and 6.X systems because they built their own
custom applications and the migration path to the new versions of ARS sometimes
seems too painful and costly, especially when it comes to paying to evaluate
and convert thousands of (working) user macro's before re-training your user
base again.

Even though 7.X has come a long way (especially if you look at the performance
gains of Mid-Tier 7.5) many people are still wary of upgrading just for the
sake of upgrading - especially if "...the system  isn't broken to begin
with...".

<RANT>
So many users have become accustomed to creating their own macro's to automate
various things and without having to wait for the red tape associated with a
change management process, so it is sad to know that yet another selling point
for Remedy is being canned as macro's will disappear when the AR User Tool is
finally deprecated.
There was a time when we sold Remedy (very successfully) with the slogan
"...Run your business YOUR way..." (remember that one Doug?). That, in
practice, has unfortunately changed with the growing popularity of ITIL and the
OOTB modules.
It feels like the end of an era, where we now sell OOTB applications instead of
having fun with writing our own reliable apps faster than anyone else on any
other platform...
</RANT>

In spite of all that, there is still light at the end of the tunnel:
1) There are shiny new features with each new major version of ARS that help in
some or another way...and with that the OOTB apps are getting better too...
2) Going forward, with Remedy's "Adapt-Or-Die" capabilities still (largely)
intact, an attitude of  "...You cannot prevent change ... but you can adapt..."
still gives those investing in Remedy a leading edge to do things in a better
way and to stay ahead of the curve... (IMHO, even if you are still running on
5.X)

Best Regards,
Theo