From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [arsl...@arslist.org] on
behalf of Joe DeSouza [joe_rem...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:44 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: SQL Database Replication

**
Elry,

One of the reasons answers differ and vary is the configuration. All depends on
what applications you are using. Does the application have configuration data
that hard codes server names like AIE would in its configuration. Some
applications store some environment specific information like LDAP server names
and login credentials. Then there are odd cases where under certain conditions
you get server names or IP Addresses of the server hardcoded into workflow such
as table fields. Sometimes you need to consider looking up the meta data and
make sure you do not have hard coded server name references in workflow.

So for the most part, yes a simple backup and restore of the database works
directly unless you need to tweak some of the application or configuration data
and meta data to remove hard coded or wrong server references. Also if you
choose to replicate the ar.cfg file, make sure you point that file to the right
database server, or you might end up having a test server point to production...

Joe