I already had the Admin tool version 7.1 and then loaded the Dev Studio. The
only issue was I needed Client 7.5 to work on ITSM 7.5.

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Palmer <suzanpal...@gmail.com>
To: arslist <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Sent: Wed, Jul 21, 2010 4:36 pm
Subject: Dev Studio Install: Can I do this on a PC with Admin v7.0.x; can two
java versions be installed?

**
Hi Everyone,

I currently have v7.0 Admin on my PC and v7.1 User, our Solaris server is
v7.0.1.

We are preparing a new server with a new v7.5 install (gave up on upgrade).  We
do NOT have ITSM.  We are custom with leftover Helpdesk v5.

I have the Dev Studio installed on a separate PC with basically nothing else on
it and it works fine.  But the display is small so I'd really like it on my
everyday PC.  When they said you needed more display space they weren't
kidding.  Not sure how some of you manage on laptops!

I thought I'd install it in a completely separate folder structure and that
should keep it separate and I'd be able to run both versions against the
appropriate servers.

During the install of Dev Studio a message let me know I needed a higher
version of Java so I cancelled.  I currently have 1.4, it wants 1.5 or higher.
After checking the compatibility chart I notice that my current admin tool
wants 1.4.  And I could not find any definite info on Crystal XI on the PC.

Can I install the v1.5 (5.0) Java in a separate folder and not disrupt my
current admin tool etc since it's pointed to the existing java folder?  When I
do the Dev Studio install I can point it to the new v1.5 folder.  Do I need the
new folder to have a name that lower in the alphabet than the existing just to
make sure it's not found first?

I'm sure someone has done this and it probably works fine but I'm not
interested in doing a rebuild right now and I need confirmation I'll be OK as
much as possible.  My in-house PC expert is on vacation (how dare he) and I get
mixed answers from others.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

Susan Palmer