Larry,

What you are seeing is a piece of workflow that is trying to make something
visible that is not on the form.
My guess is that you have not integrated with Knowledge Management so the
Knowledge Management fields
are not on the form.  However, the workflow from Incident Managment is there to
make the fields visible to you
if they are there.

The system is designed to be tolerant of being asked to do something that is
not possible and it simply does
no work in your case because the fields are not there.

Yes, better is for this not to be there and firing because the fields are not
there and it is slightly more efficient
for it not to be there if there are no KM fields.  But, it realistically isn't
affecting anything if this is the only
extra piece of logic.

You could disable it so that it never fires (and then re-enable it if you link
in KM in the future) to eliminate
the "no op" nature of the active link.

I hope this helps,

Doug Mueller