OK, I think I REALLY have it this time.

The place to change the Approval Phase Names is in the APR:SYS-Approval
Definition form, in the Phase Name field.  You just type in whatever name
you want to use rather than select from the Menu.  Once you change it there,
the change appears in the menus of both that form and the Approval Mappings
form.  Haven't tested the execution of those all the way through the
Approval process, but it should work.

Rick