From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 9:58 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: CI Name* should Unique in Asset Manag

**
I could come up with some quick reasons why it's a bad idea.  The most basic
one is that while unique CI Names would be good from the perspective of
managing physical assets, it gets tricky when you talk about things like
software, databases, etc.  You could make up a naming convention to populate it
with, such as Visio 2...@pc123456 to indicate that it's a copy of Visio 2007 on
PC123456, but why force yourself to do that?

The Token ID field is good for a unique ID if you need one you can set,
otherwise there is always the Instance ID if you just need it within Asset
Management / CMDB.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Southern Union