I'm not sure what they expect to happen. We have been running our dev/test
systems in a virtual cluster for about 18 months and our operational systems
for just over a year. If anything, the virtual systems benchmark slightly
faster than the physical systems (depending on the applications, this ranged
from 5 to 25% faster on the virtual server compared to a physical server
running on the same hardware as the virtual system).

Our dev/test cluster is comprised of 4 DL380's, fairly hefty with 32GB of
RAM. We utilize all of about 2GB of drive space on each server, just for
VMware ESX Server 4.0 OS. All of the virtual images are on an enterprise
storage solution connected through fibre channel. We're running 23 virtual
systems on four physical boxes, including a development Remedy app and web
server, a test Remedy app and web server, an MSSQL server utilized for about
a half dozen different application in addition to the Remedy dev/test
applications. All of the physical boxes are connected to the various network
segments, allowing the virtual systems to run on any physical host. Even
with this load, the virtual db and Remedy servers benchmark faster than they
did on the physical systems. From what I've gathered in digging through
everything, the reason for this is that the virtual server only need to load
a handful of drivers rather than the hundreds that are loaded for the
physical server. The hyper visor virtualizes all of the hardware and this
frees up the guest OS to run only what is required to function rather than
having to deal with the myriad various pieces of the hardware.

Use of the virtual cluster has a lot of other advantages besides the cost
savings for hardware. All of our server have high availability, without any
of the complexities and foibles requires for clustering. Fault tolerance and
resource balancing happen automatically. The virtual manager automatically
restarts failed servers, moves servers between the physical hosts as load
shifts during the course of the day, automatically generates snapshot images
on a scheduled basis than can be restored in a matter of minutes, etc. These
benefits are what drove us to virtualize our operational systems, the faster
benchmarks were just a nice side effect.

After running with virtualized and non-virtualized servers, I don't see any
benefit to running a physical system unless you have to for some reason
specific to the software you are running. Even then, I would probably try it
in a virtual environment just to make sure the information that I had on why
it couldn't run there is accurate. (Case in point, I was told repetitively
that I could not run Win 2k8 in a VMware environment, after I had been
running a pair of boxes for over six months.)

Thanks,
Roy

//SIGNED//
ROY ASHCRAFT, Contractor, 2 SOS/SYOE