From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of John Atherly
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 3:29 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Display as Text for Character Field

**
Create another character field with an active/filter that sets the value to
equal your Display as text field. Then set it up to be hidden in new record
mode and in view in search search mode and the Display field run the opposite.

John Atherly  |   APC by Schneider Electric   |  Information, Process &
Organization (IPO)  |   Remedy Administrator / Developer
Phone: +401-789-5735 ext. 2120  |   Fax: +401-789-3710  |
Email: john.athe...@apcc.com<mailto:%20john.athe...@apcc.com>  |   Site:
www.apc.com/<http://www.apc.com/>  |   Address: 132 Fairgrounds Road, West
Kingston, RI 02892 USA
*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

"Kemes, Lisa" <lisa.ke...@tycoelectronics.com>
Sent by: "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)" <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>

10/29/2010 03:13 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc
Subject
Display as Text for Character Field

**
I originally set up a character field as Read Only, when a customer is
modifying or adding a record, they cannot change this field.  When they do a
search on this form, a Change Action makes this field Read/Write.  (I don't
want anyone to change it, but I don't mind if they search on the field).  Plus
I don't want to make my users use the advanced search option, I want to make it
easy.

Well, I need some workflow to update this field from time to time, but it won't
let me because the field is Read Only.  No biggee, I'll just change this field
to Display as Text.  (even though I don't like Display as Text sometimes, I
always end up having to draw a little box around the field).  But there is no
Change Action to turn off this Display as Text setting when the users are doing
a search on the form.

Am I missing anything?  Is there an easy solution to this?

I'm working on the WUT (ARS 7.5 p4)
AR System Server 7.1 p7
Oracle 10g

Lisa Kemes