Lisa,
If there are times you need to update the field, you could add a button
that only people who can modify the field can see.  Clicking the button
would run an active link to set the field Read/Write to enable you to
change it.

HTH,
Dennis Ruble

"Kemes, Lisa" <lisa.ke...@tycoelectronics.com>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
10/29/2010 02:13 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Display as Text for Character Field

**
I originally set up a character field as Read Only, when a customer is
modifying or adding a record, they cannot change this field.  When they do
a search on this form, a Change Action makes this field Read/Write.  (I
don't want anyone to change it, but I don't mind if they search on the
field).  Plus I don't want to make my users use the advanced search
option, I want to make it easy.

Well, I need some workflow to update this field from time to time, but it
won't let me because the field is Read Only.  No biggee, I'll just change
this field to Display as Text.  (even though I don't like Display as Text
sometimes, I always end up having to draw a little box around the field).
But there is no Change Action to turn off this Display as Text setting
when the users are doing a search on the form.

Am I missing anything?  Is there an easy solution to this?

I'm working on the WUT (ARS 7.5 p4)
AR System Server 7.1 p7
Oracle 10g

Lisa Kemes