I think it's responding as expected.

If you change a single field value in dataset A then all the data from the
CI will be merged with dataset C; the recon engine only knows that something
has changed, not exactly what has changed.

It should not, however, overwrite an attribute in dataset C if that
attribute was written by dataset B and this attribute has a higher weight in
dataset B than in dataset A.

The fact that a user changed a data value in dataset C should not affect the
recon job as the attribute will still be flagged as having been updated by
dataset a or b.

To stop a value in dataset C being overwritten by dataset a or b you can
include dataset c in the precedence set with a lower default weight than
either dataset a or b but with the attribute you want to preserve at a
higher weight than a or b. Then, assuming you have defer if null always on,
either a user or dataset a or b will be able to set it but once it has a
value then datasets a and b will not be able to modify it again.

To be more in control it would be better if users updated data in a third
source dataset and the recon engine merged this as well. This is the sandbox
concept that works ok from the Atrium Console but is very buggy from asset
management.

Cheers

Peter