Lisa,

Depending on how much effort you want to put into this requirement, how
about this:

Pre-conditions:
You have a data field, "Field A" that has appropriate access permissions
set.
Requirement:
You want to let users without permissions to that field know that it has
data, but you can't let them see the data, even through reporting.

Implementation:
Create a display only field, "Field B".  Locate it on top of Field A and
make it hidden.  Disable the change flag.  Read only seems like a good idea,
but not necessary.  There's no need to set the display type to "edit masked"
(see next steps), but you can if you'd like.

Create a filter that fires on Get Entry
Run If: 'Field A' != $NULL$
Action 1:  Set Fields, set Field B = LPAD( "", LENGTHC($Field A$),  "*")
note:  you could just set it to a fixed number of asterisks if you didn't
want the user to know how long the data is.  Using the LPAD function
duplicates the edit masked functionality.

Create an active link that fires On Display and only for the non-privileged
users, with actions that hide Field A and show Field B.  Actually... the non
privileged users shouldn't be able to see Field A anyway, so you shouldn't
have to hide it.

This solution is fairly simple for one field, but if you have a lot of
fields, it could get cumbersome.  Anyway, since you hadn't received any
other options, I thought I'd throw this one out there.

Thad Esser
Remedy Developer

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Kemes, Lisa <lisa.ke...@tycoelectronics.com