There is no major change in 7.5, 7.6.03 API static/dynamic library calls and
change in length or type.

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Viki_kulkarni
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:48 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Massive upgrade challenge!!

We have a complex application in place and yes its home grown system. I
think we can go with straight upgrade if needed after we try the migration
idea given by Misi on development server.

I am worried about is the interfaces that are present most of them are shell
scripts and C programs to push and pull data out of the system.

If I am not wrong I don't have to worry about the interfaces as it is
completely customized application and AR upgrade will treat it as some
workflow which does not involve any system form(except user form) and wont
change it except field length and type. Correct me if I am wrong.

- Viki

patrick zandi wrote:

> Why not just stand up a 7.5 / 7.6.03 server and migrate your users and
> groups.
> Leave both systems up for 30 days, and then archive the old one, and do
> away
> with it?
>
> 5.01 used older varchar for oracle, and clobs, and the migration seems
> excessive for such an old system.
> if they need the old one, just let it sit there for 6 months.. is it
> hurting
> anything? make it read only, and no creates.
>
> just a thought.  This has to be a home grown system, Remedy Applications
> were not out yet.
>

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Axton <axton.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ** I was able to upgrade successfully from 6.3 to 7.5 without too many
>> issues.  The documentation for 7.5 states that the upgrade installer for
>> 7.5
>> is compatible to run against 6.3 and higher servers.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Grooms, Frederick W <
>> frederick.w.gro...@xo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you are not able to do the new server method as Misi suggests then I
>>> would do the following
>>>
>>> Upgrade to ARS 6.3 (this will involve upgrading your license file, but
>>> that is a simple process using the support web)
>>> Upgrade to ARS 7.1
>>> Upgrade to ARS 7.5 (or 7.6)
>>>
>>> Each version has performance improvements over the previous version.
>>> The
>>> 6.3 upgrade increases the Login info from 30 characters to 254
>>> characters
>>> and the 7.1 changes the licensing to not require actual keys for
>>> anything
>>> but the server license (the upgrade installer handles this change
>>> itself).
>>>  With a large number of concurrent users you need to make sure you are
>>> taking advantage of the RPC-Non-Blocking-IO parameter (which I believe
>>> was
>>> added with v5.1.2 and does require HP patches be installed if they are
>>> not
>>> there already).
>>>
>>> One other item to make sure of is to check the required versions of your
>>> database and OS for each ARS version (the Compatibility Matrix).
>>>
>>> Fred

>>> 2. Compare and apply manual changes to the system forms manually as
>>> desired
>>> 3. Export/import def-file of your custom forms/applications/objects
>>> 4. Use RRR|Chive to SYNC all your data to the new machine:
>>> https://www.rrr.se/cgi/rrrchive/main
>>> 5. Use RRR|DefHideExpandBox to fix your layout:
>>> https://www.rrr.se/cgi/tools/main#rrrDefHideExpandBox
>>> 6. Test your system and fix any problems