From: sphilben [mailto:sphil...@mac.com]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 02:40 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
Subject: Long running ITSM 7.6 upgrade

All:

We are in the process of working out our upgrade path from ARS 7.1/ITSM 7.0.03
to ARS 7.6/ITSM 7.6. The upgrade of ARS is pretty straightforward and
relatively quick.

The ITSM pieces, on the other hand, take forever. The upgrade path looks like
this:

SRM 2.2 p4
CMDB 7.5 p5
SRM 7.6 p1
CMDB 7.6 p2
ITSM 7.6 p1
SLM 7.6
SLM 7.6 p1

I am currently working on ITSM 7.6 on our DEV server. Should it really take 10+
hours? How am I supposed to get this done during our maintenance window?

Has anyone else gone through this mess and survived? Does anyone have a
strategy on how to get this done in less than 24 hours (or whatever it ends up
taking)? We have failover servers that we could try and use but I don't see how
we can do it there early (like we are going to do during the ARS upgrade).

Not sure how I can go to the powers that be and tell them they will be down for
a whole day in order to upgrade some software.

Thanks.