Which datasets have you specified as Source Datasets in the merge job?

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of sphilben
Sent: 25 February 2011 15:54
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Merging CIs with Children

**

Listers:

Does this make sense? I am using CMDB 7.6 to try and do the following with
two datasets.

Dataset A has 100 CIs
Dataset B has 1000 CIs

Some of the CIs in Dataset B are related to some of the CIs in Dataset A

I want to merge all the CIs in A and the related CIs in B but not the
unrelated ones in B (don't care about them at this point). I have a lot of
unrelateds and I don't want to waste time processing them.

So I think I am supposed to do the following:

1. Import Dataset A and Dataset B into the CMDB
2. ID Datasets A and B (this is new data so create ReconconciliationID)
3. Relate the relevant CIs in datasets A and B (records created in
HostedSystemComponents)
4. Merge the CIs in Dataset A to BMC.ASSET, and include the Child CIs I
already related using the "Related CIs in separate transactions" option on
the Merge action.

Step 4 is where it breaks down. When I run the Merge job it copies Dataset A
CIs to BMC.ASSET but not the related Children.

Am I doing it wrong? Or is what I am trying to do not possible? If you look
at page 98 of the "BMC Atrium 7.6.00 Normalization and Reconciliaton Guide"
it seems to imply that you can merge more than one thing at the same time:

"Merges instances specified by the attached Qualification Set, destination
CIs in weak relationships with those instances, and the relationships
themselves.

This option treats composite objects as one entity. For example, if your
Qualification set selects a computer system instance, it and its components
would all be merged. The individual CIs and relationships are merged in
separate database transactions."

Do I have to use a Qualification if I want all the CIs in Dataset A?

If anyone has any insights, please let me know.

Thanks.