From: Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:53 AM
Newsgroups: public.remedy.arsystem.general
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Frustrations with Remedy Developer Studio 7.5

At my employer, we are moving towards using Virtual Machines located on a
server in our data center for our desktops.  I’m piloting that from more of a
developer standpoint, and while I have my fair share of complaints about the
performance of the VMs and other issues, I have noticed that some of the lag of
reading and writing to the AR Server has diminished.  It’s odd, because in my
virtual machine just using my web browser is really slow, but Developer Studio
has gotten a lot faster.  I think an alternative that I would have explored if
I wasn’t using the VM would be to load up Developer Studio on one of my servers
and RDP to the server to develop there.  This doesn’t help those on Unix, but
if you are in a Windows shop it may help.

Also, I use Eclipse for other types of development and find it easier than
using Developer Studio, but I think it’s because Developer Studio is meant to
retain some of the paradigm of the Admin Tool.  Does this mean that BMC
eventually wants us all to be Java developers just to customize Remedy?  That’s
the direction I speculate they may be going in, which also explains why they
are trying to make their applications more configurable so you won’t have to
develop as much.  Their new licensing structure also clearly puts AR System
development in the back seat, and focuses almost exclusively on ITSM now.  If
you convert from the “green” licensing model to the “blue” one, you need to be
careful to make sure you don’t lose your licenses to run applications other
than the OOtB ones.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson

Remedy Developer | Southern Union