So far the optimal solution that I have found on Windows 2008 R2 x64 (and 2003
R2 x64) is Tomcat 6.0.32 x64 installed from the Apache distribution (the older
version installed by BMC mid-tier 7.6.03 or .04 will not do SSL correctly), on
Java 1.6.0_24.  Those are both the latest versions of Tomcat and Java 6 due to
all of the security problems they have had; I doubt that any of the 7 releases
will work properly but I have no time to test them.  Both mid-tier 7.6.03 and
7.6.04 work very well on this setup, using Tomcat's built-in web server.  I do
NOT recommend using IIS (or apache for that matter) because you are just adding
layers of integration (ISAPI to IIS - the Jakarta component) that take more
resources, add more diddling with configurations, and don't really add any
value to the system.  Some of you might have so many users that you need the
web server to scale more, but I don't (and if I did, I'd just add more tomcat
mid-tiers - we already expect to have 3 for 7.6.04 to support different
features or timeouts now that the User Tool is obsolete).

I did test IIS 7.5 with mid-tier 7.6.03/04 using Tomcat only as the servlet,
using Tomcat as installed by mid-tier on java 1.6.0_20 - but there are more
moving parts to fail, and the pre-load seemed more labor intensive, so I went
back to a straight tomcat install.  I think John is correct - I used the tomcat
installed with mid-tier and it might have been 6.0.18 or so, 32-bit, and
probably used the 32-bit JDK, but the machine I tested on is now a 7.1 ->
7.6.04 upgrade staging server so I can no longer inspect the components.

Personally, I prefer to leave IIS for SMPM 7.6 and the help files, although the
ITSM help in 7.6.03/04 has been totally destroyed (re-designed until it no
longer works, and it doesn't want to display on IIS at all).  I have had an
issue open since 7.6.03 with no resolution, and have not found my own solution
yet.  Worst case, I might have to go back to the 7.6.00 help, which won't be
entirely correct but at least it will display.  BTW, IIS is also your best bet
for BOXI underneath Analytics 7.6.01 - using .NET to avoid any possible
contention with java.

I'm about to rebuild all of the 7.6.04 "stack" yet again on Windows 2003 R2 x64
- we finally gave up completely on 2008 R2 (I spent Friday rebuilding all of
the servers back to 2003).  It turns out that the Alarmpoint 4.x java client
that MUST reside on the AR Server is absolutely NOT compatible with Windows
2008, and there is no indication from them that it will be any time soon, so we
are prevented from running ARS on 2008 R2 by that single fact.  An awful lot of
time wasted there... I regret every nickel - lots and lots of them - that we
spent on alarmpoint (xmatters).

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/