From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Michael Burton
Sent: 24 March 2011 09:39
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Software License Management (7.6.03)

**

Morning all,

We are wanting to use Asset Management to track our license usage, but the
way it appears to be working means that we are going to have a lot of work
to do to get it to do what we want, unless we are missing something.

As an example:

1) We have 10 Laptops
2) They are all running MS Windows 7 Prof
3) If we create a S/W CI for each Laptop (i.e. 10) and create the
relationship to the contract and license it seems to report correctly from
the Manage License Jobs form, and says we are using 10 licenses.

However, what we would really like to do is

1) We have 10 laptops
2) We create a single S/W CI called Windows 7 Prof
3) We create a relationship from each laptop to the Windows 7 Prof CI
4) Remedy then tells us that 10 licenses are in use.

The obvious advantage of this is that we would only have to create one S/W
CI per software instance, but we can't appear to get it working. Having read
the manual a few times it is still not clear if you can do this. There does
appear to be a tie up between a 'used by' from the CTM:People form and a the
ComputerSystem form, but I'm struggling to work it out.

If anyone has any pointers, or indeed if you can say that what we are trying
to do is not possible, that would be a great help.

Thanks

-
Mike