We had trouble with the concept of creating a CI for each instance of a
software product also.  Instead of 1,500 Windows 2008 CIs we were hoping for
1 CI related to each server.  The current version is just not designed to
work this way.

It is even worse for Winzip.  We buy a large volume of Winzip seats (10k or
so) and need to have 10k CIs to properly run the license jobs.

Since it is a one Product to Computer System relationship our other hope was
to federate the Product data and not duplicate it in our database.
Unfortunately at this time the license management application needs the data
stored in the ARSystem database to use for licensing jobs.

I have talked to a BMC engineer about this.  He agreed there is room for
improvement and that these improvements are on their radar.

<my editorial> these things obviously increase the complexity and BMC needed
to get the first release out the door.  It is better to have the tool and
it's current limitations then not having it until it is "perfect". </my
editorial>

Jason