> I wonder how many RFEs are bugs that need resolving?

As part of the RFE review process, any requests that are actually defects are
bounced back into the defect fixing process - at least for AR System.  I'd
estimate that this happens at least 5% of the time during reviews - maybe more.

  Interpretation of what a defect is vs. an RFE is, however, not an exact
science.  The basic definition of a defect is something that is not working as
documented.  Note that this does not mean that it is not working "as expected"
- and that is many times where the gray area occurs.  The amount of work
necessary to correct the issue, though, is not a criteria for declaring
something a defect (i.e. a defect cannot be reclassified as an RFE just because
it is complex to correct) - and if a technician does that, we bounce it back as
a defect.

  Obviously each situation is different, so these are just general statements,
but the point is that we do have process in place to try and ensure that true
defects are treated as defects and do not stay in the RFE process if they have
been incorrectly classified.

-David J. Easter
Manager of Product Management, Remedy Platform
BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this
E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary
participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson,
liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.