The magical answer is: "It Depends".

If you can get direct database access to the outside purchasing system
you can use the AIE to pull data.  That is one possibility and might
work for the 3rd party tool as well.

I wouldn't recommend using JavaScript/Java/C for an interface unless
there are no other options.  We've had adapters written in all of these
and they work, but they are highly susceptible to updates/changes in the
API by BMC.  For example, the java API changed substantially from
version 6.x to 7.x and any adapters that worked previously had to be
re-written.

Web services are also pretty viable, depending on who/what you are
communicating with.  If you want to do some more complicated things like
XML embedded within XML - this may not work.

I personally prefer this:

Integration with OOB ITSM apps = web services
Custom interfaces to legacy systems = workflow and/or API
external db <--> AR System = AIE

William Rentfrow
Principal Consultant, StrataCom Inc.
wrentf...@stratacominc.com