Thank you!

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:25 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Email not working... any suggestions?

Your problems are severe enough that I went back to my old emails with support
from 20 months ago.

Looking back to Feb 2010, here was the “resolution” on my fight with the
7.5.00.002, 003, and 004 installers.  It was compounded by the problems I
reported in Oct 2009 where the email account, formerly entered as domain in one
field and login name in another in the install dialog box, and properly
assembled by the installer into domain\loginname to install the service and
build the mailbox configuration records, now required that you enter
domain\loginname together in the login field (in addition to domain in the
other dialog box field).  Because I did not do this, the installer could not
create the service because it was trying to use an account that did not exist
on the server (there was no local user for loginname, only a domain\loginname
in the Administrators Group).

BTW, in 7.6.03 and 7.6.04 they “fixed” this so that what ends up in the config
record is domainloginname (with no “\”) and of course it cannot log in (either
MAPI or POP) to the mail server.  At least it was used correctly to install the
service, so I don’t understand the problem with their installers.  It looks
like it is completely fixed in 7.6.04 SP1, but I’ll need to see a few more
successes to be convinced.

INCIDENT: ISS03574638

ISSUE: After applying patch 003 to an ARS 7.5.00.002 server (upgraded from
7.1.00.002 much earlier), the AREMail service is no longer installed.  There is
no Windows service, although the files exist.  Re-running the 7.5.00.003
installer does not repair it.

RESOLUTION: Defect # SW00357200 Created.

I do not know if you are using MAPI or POP, but when it comes to the creation
of the Email service that does not matter.  If you are using a domain account –
a requirement with MAPI and a good idea with POP if you are using Exchange for
mail, the 7.5 installers never got that right.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/