Let me explain how this will work, for those of you who have not gone through
an upgrade.
The reason best practice is to add a custom class (outside of BMC.CORE) and add
your own attributes to that custom class, with custom field ID ranges is
because when you upgrade it will only keep these additions made this way.
That's why I stated "I'd recommend you do not add them to Base Element.
Instead create your
own custom Class and add those attributes to that class.  Otherwise,
your next upgrade will be a nightmare."

When you upgrade (which is inevitable) the Common Data Model is constantly
changed and adapted.  They will completely restructure all of the classes in
BMC.CORE. Therefore, if you add custom fields to Base Element the upgrades will
"remove" them.  I have been through several upgrades and personally witnessed
this.  Obviously, if you have hundreds of thousands of records in these
attributes you are up a creek with out a paddle.  Patches sometimes will remove
custom fields too.

I know the road you are wanting to go down seems easier right now.  But it will
be a "nightmare" in the future.  I would also recommend reading the book about
How to Create a CMDB from the ground up.  I have been through that mistake also.

Take care and obviously your environment and situations will dictate your
decisions.  Good luck.