Everyone,

I wanted to send a quick response to this note as it is describing something
that is completely inconsistent
with expectations and with what we are in fact seeing happening in customer
sites.

An upgrade of the CMDB does not remove ANY classes or attributes you may have
added to the system
(OK, if you have added a custom attribute to a class that is being removed,
there is an issue but even there,
we have logic that is set up to not remove the class and to leave it as a
custom class because it sees that
there is an extension if possible).

We have many customers who have extended the class structure -- everything from
adding new items to
base element to adding new classes to adding attributes to existing classes.
They have no issue with those
extensions or customizations during an upgrade.  We do not delete custom
extensions.

Now, we do suggest you really check to see if you need a customization before
making it, but if you do the
work and find you do need the extension, it is fully supported and upgrades
work just fine.

Where there are some issues and some rework was needed in the past is with
Asset views and layouts.
When the CMDB extended something in the release, new Asset views would be
created and when you
upgrade, they overwrite the views you have.  This means that you could end up
with issues of your extended
fields "disappearing" from the Asset views.  They are still there in the CMDB.
All the data is still present in
them.  But, the fields don't show on the Asset views.  You would need to go
back and update your Asset
views for the classes to get your custom fields to show again.

With the overlay feature of the 7.6.04 release, you can control this problem.
There will be additional
improvements in upcoming releases to make this even easier.  And, over the next
couple releases, some
restructuring of the way Asset Management works to eliminate the issue
completely by streamlining the
interaction of Asset and CMDB.  But, these are all details to clean up an
annoying maintenance issue for
the layout of screens.

To my knowledge, we have not lost any custom fields or classes for any
customers.  If anyone has seen that
occur during an upgrade, this should be immediately reported to the support
team and worked as a bug.  As
other users have posted to this thread, they have extended the base class and
gone through several
upgrades with no issues or problems with any customization/extension of the
class model -- including
extensions to base element.

I just wanted to get a note out there clarifying what the expectations are and
noting that we do not have any
issues with customers in general loosing custom/extended classes or attributes.
 You can safely extend
attributes and classes in the CMDB and they will be held across upgrades.
(still do verify that you really
need the extensions before you make them of course)

Doug Mueller