Hi Andrew,

Splendid timing.  I am taking a lunch break from our Foundation Data
workshop that Column is leading.  We are still trying to hash out what our
company structure will be (right up to lunch break).  While I don't have an
answer for your situation so far it appears we will have similar flexibility
issues.

We are currently discussing whether to configure our IT department as an
Operating Company or do we configure the whole organization as one Operating
company.  At the moment we are leaning towards possibility allowing other
business units to use any of the ITSM applications in the future (say
Facilities, HR, other departments that may have a need for related
CM/Asset/Incident).  We have security concerns around what data would be
available under one "flat" company.  If we create each as its own Op Company
then we are looking at possibly having multiple People Profiles for one
person (since many people would be employees of the overall enterprise as a
whole and would also be customer's of multiple Operation Companies.  Then we
have affiliates such as private doctor offices that might work with the
different Op Companies.

We are also taking into consideration segregating Foundation config
responsibility.  Our main IT dept probably won't want to manage the other Op
Company's Locations/Categorization/approvals/etc.  Do both Op Companies have
their own Remedy admins?  That bring us back to the question of data access
and the ability for one Op Company's admins to change the other Op Company's
config.  Maybe we will have one group of admins and charge for
administration?  :)

Back to the the discussion now...

Jason