From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Luttmann, Michael W Mr CTR
DISA CD553
Sent: Tuesday, 2 August 2011 08:00
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: First Call Resolution

David,

This is a tricky and frustrating one!  In the past, I've had to document
complicated internal rules for calculating "FCR."  I will send you a
copy, if you like.

The main problem is that it depends upon local rules and standards to
even figure out what constitutes an FCR.  As a basis, you can look for
tickets opened and closed by the same person, but that's not sufficient.
(I could open a ticket, hang up, go to lunch or do some other work for
three days, then resolve the ticket.)  Can a call be transferred to a
subject matter expert (Tier 2), and still be considered "first call?"
Is time a factor, so that anything over say, 30 minutes fails FCR?

Another consideration is that FCR rules can easily be "gamed."  Can you
put someone on hold for extended periods so that you can research/fix
the issue and get FCR credit?  Can you improve your FCR statistics by
disabling self-help resources (thus creating more "easy" help desk
calls)?

I hate the entire concept of tracking FCR. In a perfect ITIL system with
plenty of documentation and self-help (Tier 0) tools, including
user-initiated password reset, no one should be calling the service desk
unless they had a serious Tier 2-level problem.  Thus, first-call
resolution should trend towards 0%. (!)

I'm sure that's why there isn't such a report OOTB.

Mike Luttmann
DISA Remedy Engineer
303-224-1645